Temporary Position: Communications & Asia Programs Manager (parental coverage, 7 months)
Posted on: 05/25/2022
KADIST San Francisco
Full Time, Permanent
For KADIST, art is a driving force for social transformation. KADIST’s programs often highlight a key issue of today through presenting the voices of artists who respond to the urgent social and political forces of our time. With permanent exhibition spaces in Paris and San Francisco, and offices in Guangzhou and Mexico City, KADIST produces exhibitions and programs across five continents, through curatorial collaborations, in order to responsibly address the complexity of local cultures. KADIST’s spaces in Paris and San Francisco present exhibitions and events, organize residencies and educational programs, and produce projects online and on social media. KADIST’s collection of 1600 contemporary artworks serves as a starting point and resource for these programs. KADIST is a non-profit organization founded in 2001. It is operated in France by an endowment fund and by a 501c3 in the United States.
KADIST San Francisco is looking for an experienced arts administrator for a 6-month temporary position supporting its Communications and Asia Programs. Working in a collaborative, fast-paced arts environment, the manager is responsible for the management and maintenance of KADIST San Francisco’s communications and social media and curatorial support for KADIST’s Asia programs (exhibitions, residencies, events). Reporting to the Director of KADIST San Francisco and Director of Collection and Special Projects, the Manager will work closely with the other team members of KADIST across the world to showcase the breadth and depth of KADIST’s collection, programs, and events and engage with its local and online community of over 60,000 visitors. This position is based in San Francisco, at the KADIST San Francisco office.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Communications – Social Media (30%)
• Manage San Francisco local programs communications and tools, and supporting a unified communication strategy for international and online programs
• Manage publishing and engagement on KADIST’s social media channels (Facebook, Instagram and other platforms as needed) as well as digital content calendar with Social Media Manager of KADIST Paris
• Contribute to the content and promotion strategy
• Research, write, source, or produce media assets (images, videos, etc.) to create original social media content about KADIST artists, collection, exhibitions, events
• Schedule and post content and implement paid promotion across all social platforms (9 to 12 posts and stories per week)
• Monitor and engage the online community in accordance with KADIST guidelines
• Generate reports every other month and analyze social media metrics
Communications – Press, Newsletters, and Website (20%)
• Implement strategy and framework for promoting local and international programs led by KADIST San Francisco, including but not limited to managing calendar, following internal workflow, producing and editing promotional content
• Supervise all communication materials: edit, post, and maintain webpages for both local and international programs, using WordPress; write, edit, and disseminate monthly newsletter, using MailChimp; compile materials and prepare press kits for exhibitions (2 to 3 local and international exhibitions and special projects)
• Write and upload information to listing portals; update press contacts and maintain press archive
• Act as press liaison; pitch relevant stories to editors and writers; organize press exhibition previews and tours
• Oversee graphic design of communications materials
Asia Programs (40%)
• Provide curatorial support for KADIST’s Asia-related local and offsite programs (collection, exhibitions, residencies, events, etc)
• Assist in liaising with KADIST’s Asia advisors, artists, galleries, and contacts
• Oversee and liaise with WeChat Manager (Chinese Social Media platform), including monitoring goals, overseeing content calendar, brainstorming content, sharing institutional program information
• Write, edit, and send monthly newsletter, using MailChimp
• Compile and edit nomination materials for Asia collection and library proposals, and assist with logistical preparation of online acquisition meeting
• Actively follow all activities in the region (KADIST exhibitions, artists, press)
• Assist in day-to-day administrative tasks and reports
• Attend all online/in-person events organized by KADIST San Francisco
• Attend weekly and monthly in-person/online program meetings
• Degree in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Art Administration and related fields
• 3+ years of experience in communications, social media or digital marketing, preferably in the arts and cultural field
• Excellent writing abilities and strong copy-editing and proofreading skills in English
• Genuine interest and knowledge in contemporary art and its networks, particularly in Asia
• Deep understanding of social media platforms and trends
• Strong organization and logistics skills
• Web-savvy and strong computer skills including WordPress, MailChimp, Facebook, Instagram, In Design, Photoshop, Google Sheets and Excel, Google Survey.
The ideal candidate is able to work in a fast-paced environment with great organizational, multi-tasking, and interpersonal skills. They have a proactive, rigorous, and autonomous working style yet thrive in environments that favor teamwork and collaboration. They are able to take initiative and lead complex projects and are enthusiastic about participating in a wide range of organizational functions.
Term – 7 months (with possible month extension), beginning on June 1, 2022.
This is a parental leave coverage role for a fixed term, contractor position at the KADIST San Francisco office. 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday.* $4,500-5,500 a month, based on experience. Paid twice a month. Monthly healthcare stipend for reimbursement of healthcare coverage.
*Some earlier morning or later afternoon work may be required. Shorter work week and remote work negotiable.
Full Covid-19 vaccination required for all employees.
How to Apply & Selection Process
For immediate consideration, please send a resume, a cover letter, and contact information for 2-3 references by Friday, May 20, 11:59 pm PT to email@example.com, with “Temporary position: Communications & Asia Programs Manager” in the subject header. Position open until filled. Candidates will be invited to participate in interviews on a rolling basis.
KADIST is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) are strongly encouraged to apply.
We believe contemporary artists make an important contribution to a progressive society, their work often addressing key issues of our time. KADIST, a non-profit organization dedicated to exhibiting the work of artists represented in its collection, encourages this engagement and affirms contemporary art’s relevance within social discourse. KADIST’s local hubs in Paris and San Francisco present exhibitions and events, and organize residencies and educational initiatives, as well as producing projects online and via social media. Concurrently, KADIST is actively establishing networks across five areas—North America, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Asia and Latin America—inviting new artists into the collection and initiating collaborative programs, especially exhibitions with museums of each region. Together, they aim at facilitating new connections across cultures and creating vibrant conversations about contemporary art and ideas.